Reasons Why ABNs are Required
In order to register with the ACNC and be recognised as a charity, organisations must have an Australian Business Number (ABN).
There are many other benefits which can be accrued.
ABNs can be used for:
- registering for goods and services tax (GST) and claiming GST credits;
- registering for pay-as-you-go (PAYG) withholding;
- applying to the ACNC for endorsement of relevant tax concessions or exemptions;
- interacting with other government departments, agencies and authorities;
- interacting with the Australian Tax Office (ATO) on other taxes, such as fringe benefits tax (FBT); and
- accessing membership and associated benefits of the Uniting Church in Australia GST Religious Group.
Our Policies and Procedures outlines how to apply for an ABN and associated taxation endorsements and concessions.