The Uniting Church affirms that all people are created in the image of God, and so commits itself to the protection and safety of all people with whom it interacts.
The Synod of NSW and the ACT is committed to providing a safe environment for both children and adults to develop relationships as part of a faith community and to grow in their faith and understanding of God. The Synod Safe Church Unit has been created for this purpose.
The Synod of NSW and the ACT Safe Church unit works collaboratively with the UCA National Safe Church Unit and other Safe Church Units in Synods across the country
The Safe Church Unit takes a lead role in ensuring the Synod of NSW and the ACT is aware of and compliant with:
- Implementing Child protection policies which ensure compliance with current legislation.
- Ensuring the Child Safe Principles are understood and implemented by all congregations and presbyteries.
- Ensuring that Synod Policies and guidelines are effectively communicated within the Synod with appropriate reporting mechanisms in place.
- Creating relevant and easily accessible resources, guidelines and processes to assist congregations and presbyteries to comply with Synod policies.
- championing an ever-evolving safe church culture within the Synod.
- Supporting congregations and presbyteries in safe church practices.
- Providing Safe Church Awareness Training.
- Providing training for those who monitor Persons of Concern.
- Administering the Special Religious Education Program in NSW.
- Liaising with Pulse to grow and support safe church practices for youth within the Synod.
Rev Bronwyn Murphy - Associate Secretary
- Responsible for the oversight and smooth running of the Synod Safe Church Unit and the Person of Concern process.
- Liaising with Safe Church Unit and Risk and Compliance teams in developing and maintaining policies, procedures and protocols in line with current legislation and church regulation.
Rev Tara Curlewis - Safe Church Unit - Relationship Manager
- Establish collaborative working networks with PRC’s, church councils, boards, Pulse and Assembly
- Work with Presbytery to assess/ coordinate/facilitate safe church training
- Collaborate with ethical ministry training and its development in supporting synergies and alignment with the safe church unit
- Manage matters raised via the ‘Speak out’ and Persons of Concern reporting process
Anne Empson - Safe Church and Quality Compliance Manager
- Manages the Persons of Concern process.
- Oversees the development of polices, guidelines, templates and other resources relating to Safe Church compliance.
- Responsible for the content on Safe Church Website.
The Safe Church Unit is administratively supported by Monique Mumby, Executive Assistant: Secretariat
|Uniting Church in Australia
PO Box A2178, Sydney South NSW 1235
|(02) 8267 4351|