Let’s all play our part during Child Protection Week
The Uniting Church in Australia is committed to building a robust culture of child safety in all parts of our Church, and ensure that they reflect the best practice for care, service and support of children.
A culture of safety underpins everything we do and together all Uniting Church members within the Synod play their part to make our Church, agencies and schools the safest they can be for children in our care.
- We all continue to participate in training in accordance with the Safe Church Training Agreement with ministers, staff and volunteers. This includes education on how and when to report any suspected or actual incident of child sexual abuse, in accordance with all legislative requirements and Safe Church guidelines.
- We Speak Out In Confidence about any matter relating to child safety.We can do this through the Uniting Church Independent hotline on 1800 951 145 . To learn all the ways we can all speak out in confidence go to www.speakout.uca.org.au.
- We educate children, vulnerable persons and adults in our communities about steps they can take to prevent the abuse of children and vulnerable persons.
I am now writing to you about National Child Protection Week from 2-7 September. Bravehearts’ White Balloon Day 2018, concludes National Child Protection Week, and is an excellent way to participate and raise awareness in your congregations.
The annual Bravehearts’ White Balloon Day raises awareness about protecting children from child sexual assault. Now in its 22nd year, White Balloon Day has helped educate the community about preventing this crime, whilst also helping to raise funds for Bravehearts’ essential counselling and education programs.
Together we can all play our part to help protect children by collectively and individually getting involved in White Balloon Day this year, and adding your voice to the thousands of people who will be raising awareness about child sexual assault on Friday 7 September, 2018.
To participate you can:
- Register to hold an event on the Bravehearts’ White Balloon Day 2018 website.
- Purchase event packs from the website to assist you in raising awareness
Donate to this important cause:
- $12 will cover the cost of educating 1 child in personal safety via Bravehearts’ personal safety program.
- $75 will cover the cost of a crisis call to Bravehearts’ counselling and support line.
- $150 will cover the cost of a specialist counselling session for a child or adult survivor of child sexual assault.
- $3500 will cover the cost of educating a whole year-level of lower primary school students or childcare centre of children in personal safety.
We are grateful for your commitment to keeping children safe and our churches welcoming places of worship, witness and service.
Thank you for all your efforts in this endeavor and I look forward to hearing the wonderful stories of White Balloon Day 2018.
Rev. Bronwyn Murphy
Associate General Secretary