Single Touch Payroll Reporting initiative effective 1 July 2018
Single Touch Payroll is a government initiative to streamline business reporting obligations.
It is a mandatory reporting obligation for every employer with an actual employee headcount (not FTE) of 20 or more employees.
Under Single Touch Payroll, the following payroll information must be automatically sent to the ATO from the employer’s payroll system every time they process their payroll.
- salary or wages; and
- pay as you go (PAYG) withholding; and
- superannuation guarantee information
This means that the employer’s payroll software system will need to be enhanced and updated to a version that can support Single Touch Payroll software and this must be ready to operate by 1 July 2018.
Documents issued by the ATO to further explain Single Touch Payroll and employer obligations.
What do Uniting Church Employers need to do?
Uniting Church employers need to review their current payroll systems and ascertain whether the systems are capable of being upgraded to accept the new software.
If the payroll system is:
- capable of upgrade, employers should purchase and install the reporting-enabled software ensuring it is operable by 1 July 2018.
- not capable of upgrade, employers need to consider alternatives to ensure they comply with their obligations.
One option is to transition their payroll functions across to the Payroll Bureau Service (PBS) operated by Uniting Resources.
- is available to all Uniting Church organisations in NSW and the ACT; and
- has the capacity to undertake the processing of payroll and ensure that employers are meeting their obligations under prevailing legislation. This will include compliance with the Single Touch Payroll reporting regime.
Any employer who wishes to transition across to the PBS needs to do so before 31 December 2017.
If you are interested in the services provided by the PBS please contact the PBS on 8267 4288 or e-mail Uniting Resources Payroll firstname.lastname@example.org.