Showing film clips or movies

In Australian copyright law, screening a film or movie clip in a non-domestic public setting (ie in a church or school etc) requires permission from the copyright owner. This includes showing excerpts from any source such as DVD, online (Youtube) or digital rental.

There are a couple of different ways that a church can obtain the correct coverage to show films in church ministries or Sunday services. The main three ways are:

The three licences work in a similar fashion, but cover different studios and films. The CVL and the BSML licence are annual licences which cover the church to show any films in their list, as many times as they would like for 12 months. The Koorong licences cover one particular film, which can be shown as many times as the church would like to for 12 months.

For a more detailed discussion about the different licences, please see below.