Our Vision, Mission and Values
As a people journeying together we affirm our calling under God:
- to preach Christ the crucified and risen one and confess him as Lord;
- to bear witness to the unity of faith and life in Christ, rising above cultural, economic, national and racial boundaries;
- to engage in fearless prophetic ministry in relation to social evils which deny God’s active will for justice and peace;
- to act with God alongside the oppressed, the hurt and the poor;
- to accept responsibility for the wise use and conservation of the finite resources of this earth for the benefit of all;
- to recognise, treasure and use the gifts of the Spirit given to all God’s people for ministering; and
- to live a creative, adventurous life of faith, characterised by openness, flexibility, hope and joy (based on a statement from the inaugural worship service of the Uniting Church in Australia, June 1977).
To be a fellowship of reconciliation, living God’s love and acting the common good to build a just and compassionate community.
To inspire, empower and support the Uniting Church in all its varied expressions to live out our Christian faith. We affirm that this means supporting the goals of:
- Bringing people to Gods Love
- Responding to human need and strengthening community
- Transforming unjust social structures
- Continuing to learn and grow
- Protecting and renewing creation.
The Uniting Church is:
- inclusive and generous
- honest and accountable
- just and compassionate
- hopeful and courageous.
Acknowledging that "it is the task of every council to wait upon God's Word and to obey God's will in the matters allocated to its oversight", the Synod Standing Committee in late 2013 began an internal process of discerning God's call for the life and mission of the church.
Through the discernment process, the Synod Standing Committee articulated a draft mission plan for a three year period from 2015 to 2017. This draft plan was approved at Synod 2014 and builds on the previous Synod Mission plan adopted by the Synod in 2006.
The Synod Mission Plan is a planning resource developed with the intention to shape the work of the Synod through its Boards, Committees, Presbyteries, Congregations and Agencies, including its budgets and plans until the next Synod meeting in 2017.
As we place our trust in God for our future life and mission of the Synod, please pray and share using the resources available.
View Online: Synod Mission Plan 2015-2017
Download: Synod Mission Plan 2015-2017